Look it up!

Monday, May 26, 2014

The end of the thing we've been working for for 15 years

The last two weeks have been constant thoughts about graduating, school ending, keeping the memories, and so many emotions that go swirling through everything it's so hard to believe that this is it. This is the end. 
I remember preschool. I mean, not well, but I spent two years in the same classroom playing house, coloring, thinking that that was how school was for everyone in every grade. I remember using sugar cubes to make tea for my teachers, and I remember loving the markers that were stuck in a block of work so we wouldn't lose the marker tops. Then those two years ended and I no longer had my little orange flower symbol by my name so I knew it was my name.
Kindergarden I remember writing things by copying from a projector, and I remember writing my name for the first time. Nap time was mandatory for us, and I couldn't stand it. Nowadays that's all I hope for. In first grade I remember sitting at tables in a little classroom, and I felt so grown up. I learned to read in second or third grade, and it took me a little longer to learn to read, if I remember correctly, than other kids in my class. After I learned to read, though, I couldn't stop. 
Fourth grade we were on a different floor of the school, and in the fall of that year we changed to a new house. My mom would drive my sisters, brother, and I to school every school day that whole year, and I remember bouncing over the gravel road as we went back and forth. When that year ended, though, we changed to a new school, and I said goodbye to my best friend. 
Fifth grade I got braces along with a new friend. Our moms became friends, and we would spend time through sixth grade just having fun together. Sixth grade I became the crazy gerbil girl, and I loved my little pets so much. 
Seventh grade was a whole new ball game. People from my old school and my new school combined in order to form my junior high. I became friends again with my friend from my old school, and we moved through the next two years as great friends. Eighth grade year we were the top of the junior high, and the "sevies" had nothing on us. We felt like we could take on the whole world. 

When I became a freshman, we were all taken down a few notches. We were the bottom of the pile, and that meant we needed to learn our place. I marched long and hard in band, and put my heart into golfing. "Freshman hell day" left me with a great friend as a senior who fluffed my hair up and put some wash out color in it. She made me a shirt and bought me breakfast, and we've been friends since then. 
Sophomore year was a hard year. I dealt with girls on my golf team who treated me unfairly, and I would sometimes just feel like giving up. I helped out with our fall play with the new director, Mrs. Morgenson, dictating that I was the animal tamer. I became a better person that year, because I learned that I was stronger than I thought I was. 
Junior year started the worrying about college. Every day I would receive a piece if mail from a different college. At some point I filled a full-sized trash bag with all the college mail I had collected. I felt sure I knew where I was going, and I wasn't about to let the brochures influence me. I dated a guy for three months who dumped me on Facebook, and I realized I had to be careful who or what I invested my heart in. 
Senior year I started applying for scholarships on August 1st. I wanted to earn every scholarship possible. School started up, and I had fun with my friends at homecoming, then I applied for only two schools. I knew that I was a good enough student to get into at least one of the two schools. Fall play I played a handful of supporting roles with a lot of lines. I was proud of myself, and even managed to overcome my stage fright for the duration of the performances. After I received my acceptance letter for both colleges I knew I was in the school I had wanted since my freshman year. 
November brought me someone I never thought I would meet, and his name is Alex. Since the 7th of November we've been attached by the hip. When January came, and I was 18 everything became so real I wasn't quite sure what to do. In March I decided against my dream college and instead decided on a school much for fitting to what I wanted; Hastings College. Graduation came all too fast with senior festivities and tons of family and friends. Now here I am. I've been a graduate for a week and two days, and I'm throwing away all that remains of these last weeks. It's cheesy, I know, but here those flowers lay, dead and put in the trash. Everything is just memories, and suddenly the excitement is gone. Onto another part of life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment