Look it up!

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Cootie catchers!

Hi guys!
I know it's already halfway through, but it's the week of love! In the school age group I work with at my daycare we are doing tons of lovie-dovie crafts. I spent about two hours Monday night working on the supplies for the two crafts I will tell you about tomorrow and the next day, but this craft is a classic that needs revived!
Cootie catchers. Please tell me at least a few of you remember making these in elementary school and writing a dozen silly things inside to make your friends laugh. In order to make mine fit the idea of Valentine's Day I went on pinterest and found these two outlines:
http://lilluna.com/free-valentines-cootie-catcher/ 

http://thecraftingchicks.com/valentine-cootie-catchers-free-printable/

The kiddos ended up working better with the first one that the second one, but I also think it would have worked out better had we printed these out in color, and cut the squares out for them. 
Then, we folded. You start by folding it into a diagonal triangle pictures facing out, then unfold and do the same on the other diagonal. Then, fold the paper in half like a book with the pictures inside, doing the same thing the other direction once one is done. 
Then, face the paper pictures down on a flat surface and fold in the corners so they meet in the middle like a star. This is why the first picture is better than the second, since there aren't any lines on the second. After that, flip it over and fold in the corners again. Make sure that you push really hard on your creases so that this last part turns out well. Fold the paper in half so your most recent flaps are inside, then unfold that last fold and do the same the other direction. Then flip it over and wiggle your fingers into the flaps on the back. It takes a little manipulation and pinching but then you have your cootie catcher! If my explanation makes no sense, here is a chart that might make it easier: 
https://babysitterblab.wordpress.com/2011/01/09/cootie-catcher/

This is a great craft to do with older kids whom don't necessarily love normal crafts. Even several of my daycare boys loved making these, which was a surprise for me. 
Well, gotta head back into the wild blue yonder (oh dear, I'm a dork). I will have a new post up for you by tomorrow night! 
~Blondie~


No comments:

Post a Comment